WHAT IS FAT TRANSFER?
Fat extracted from another part of the body can be used to augment the size on the breasts. After all the breasts are mainly fat. While some of the transplanted fat cells will die off, the remainder will last forever. The trick with fat transfer to the breasts is to ensure the highest survival rates of the transplanted fat cells. Having an established liposuction setup helps a lot in ensuring good fat cell survival rates.
A liposuction-type procedure is needed to extract 500mls of good quality fat to be prepared for transplantation (grafting) into the breasts. The areas that yield the best quality fat cells are the inner thighs and the lower abdomen. We have found that using the Vaser at very low intensity helps to decrease the clumpiness of the extracted fats which makes them survive better when transplanted.
- The fats are transplanted in the area behind the glandular tissue in the breasts, not into the breast tissue. Hence the transplanted fat does not interfere with any future mammograms as it is in a different plane.
- This technique of sub-mammary-gland injection of the transplanted fat leaves minimal pain, discomfort or bruises. There is only a small injection mark under the breasts which fade after a few days. After about 2 weeks, when the initial swelling has subsided, your breasts will feel like a normal.
- Some of the fat cells will invariably not survive being pulled out from somewhere else, washed and re-injected back into the breasts. Also the blood supply in the breasts can only support just so much fat cells. From our experience, transplanting 100mls to 150mls ensures the highest rates of survival of the transplanted fat cells. Applying several minutes of Vaser at low intensity before extraction of the fat cells also ensures higher survival rates of the transplanted fat cells. Vaser at low intensity does not destroy the fat cells but loosens them from the fibrous capsule that binds them together. The smaller clumps when transplanted survives much better.
- Typically when we transplant 100-150mls (on each side), about 80-100mls (on each side) will remain for the long term. This will give a one cup size increase for petite girls. Those desiring further increase in cup size can do repeated fat transfer. Transferring more fats in a single session will not give more results. Still only about 100mls will remain for the long term.
- Transplanting too much (in excess of 200mls) lead to a higher incidence of oil cysts forming. While harmless, they can lead to unwanted alarm at future breast examinations.
This is an exciting field where stem cells can be extracted from fat deposits during a liposuction-type procedure. In theory there is an abundance of such stem cells which have been touted as being able to cure a whole host of conditions, and including making transplanted fat cells survive better. While we do not totally doubt this claim, we at David Loh Surgery are not in favour of using stem cells for this purpose. The main reason being that the machines that claim to concentrate the stem cells are quite dubious looking. Hence we’re not touching the stem cells that come out of it.
Feel free to call us on +65 6733 5300 for further details about
Fat Transfer. Or email us.
Speak with us at (+65) 6733 5300 or send us an email.