Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a natural moisture-binding substance mostly found in the dermis or middle layer of skin. As we age, our skin cells lose the ability to produce hyaluronic acid among other things. Without adequate quantities of hyaluronic acid, our skin appears dry and prone to wrinkles no matter how much moisturizing creams we douse ourselves with.
There are many brands for this purpose. Not in any order of preference, they include but are not limited to Restylane Vital, Profhilo, Belotero Hydrate, Teosyl Redensity 1, and Juvederm Volite. There are of course our own preferences, for reasons that stem mainly from having used them extensively, but we are not allowed to elaborate on these online. Only during in-person consultations.
Hyaluronic acid in a very light or liquid form, has been used time immemorial to restore the skin’s natural hydration exactly where the loss is occurring. When injected into the skin, the hyaluronic acid draws in water molecules from the surrounding tissues to hydrate the skin. The HA filler material in the skin also stimulates the production collagen and elastin – these are materials once also abundant in our youthful skin, making it taut and smooth.
The skin changes that are expected with these skin hydrators are textural in nature – things like fine lines, wrinkles and opened pore improve. The results of these skin hydrators are perhaps best appreciated by feel (a tactile feeling of suppleness, bounciness and hydration) rather than being photographable.
ABOUT SKIN BOOSTERS
Skin boosting is concept whereby low gel density hyaluronic acid, like Restylane Vital, Profhilo or Juvederm Volite, are used to improve skin texture and hydration. Just picture this – 1g of hyaluronic acid can bind up to 6 litres of water! Think of all the good it will do for our skin!
Besides just providing deep dermal hydration, the mild stretching of the skin’s fibroblasts has been proven to improve elasticity and skin structure, and smoothens out fine lines. Adequate skin hydration also aids in the transport of essential nutrients from the bloodstream to the skin cells, keeping them youthful.
In short, we can now rejuvenate the skin from within, creating a youthful luster and glow.
SKIN BOOSTER PROCEDURE
- Skin boosters are usually injected as micro-droplets into the mid dermis of the skin. Our doctors prefer to use a fine cannula (rounded tip needle) as this is more comfortable for the patient, and safer.
- Using a cannula, the procedure leaves very little recovery time.
- As most of these skin hydrators (except for Profhilo) contain an anaesthetic lidocaine, the procedure is relatively comfortable.
- The results will be apparent in about one week when the hydration sets in. The skin will continue to improve over the next 3-6 months due to collagen stimulation effects.
- Skin boosters can be used not only for the face, but also neck, hands, décolletage and lips, where sun exposure often causes premature ageing.
- As the hyaluronic acid (HA) in these skin hydrators (except for profhilo) are cross-linked, the skin quality improvements can last up to 6-9 months in clinical trials.
Find out if a Skin Hydration Booster is suitable for you.
Call +65 6733 9114 or email us.