5 FEATURES OF AGING IN THE UNDER-EYE AREA
A couple of things happen as we age. The fat compartments shrink (atrophy is the scientific term), reducing support for the skin and muscles around the eyes. The bones around the eye sockets also remodel (change shape) which causes even greater loss of support for the overlying soft tissues.
5 things you can expect around the eyes as you age:
- Hollowness or sunken under-eye area is the direct effect of the fat atrophy.
- The lengthening of the lid cheek junction (above red line) which is due to the lack of support.
- The tear-trough deformity, which is a groove under the eyebags. This is also due to the lack of support.
- The Eyebags. These may be psuedo-eyebags caused by skin laxity rather than actual eyebags, which are caused by fat pad herniation.
- Dark eye circles. Thin skin draping over muscle gives rise to the darker color. Only very rarely are dark eye circles the result of actual pigmentation on the skin.
The Treatment For Under-eye Aging
The treatment however is relatively simple. Fillers when skillfully injected into the fat compartments in the under-eye area provides support and resolves most of the above problem features. Plus a bit of laser to tighten up the skin, and that’s all it takes.
Watch Dr Davin Lim from Australia being treated by Dr David Loh in Singapore.